With a total seating capacity of 2,967, the San Diego Civic Theatre offers multiple options for seating preference and pricing, with six sections to choose from for your theatre experience.
In general, late arrivals for performances will be required to remain in the lobby areas until an appropriate seating break in the performance, as determined by the show management or producers. This may be for just the duration of a few minutes for an opening number or may be for the entire first act of the performance. Lobby monitors are available to view most on-stage performances.
Seating comprises the following sections:
This is the section closest to the stage and on the main floor. It includes a maximum of 1,218 seats featuring "continental" seating with no center aisles and extra leg room between rows. There are 4 wheelchair locations with companion seats. There are eight (8) side transfer seats. There are 20 permanent rows and three removable rows over the orchestra pit. Access to the Orchestra is via two sloped walkways with no stairs.
- Please note that during certain productions when the orchestra pit/extended orchestra pit are not required and removable seating is in place, the first three Rows are AA, BB, and CC followed by Row A.
This section is at the rear of the main floor and is elevated approximately three feet above the last row of the Orchestra. It includes 421 seats arranged in four sections of eight rows each. The last row of the Dress Circle (Row H) may be accessed without stairs and can accommodate a mix of up to 30 wheelchair spaces and companion seats.
Lower Loge (2nd level)
This section is similar to side box seats on either side of the house and overhang the Orchestra's side seating. There are a total of 46 seats in 11 rows on house left and a total of 50 seats in 13 rows on house right. Lower Loge seats are only accessible via stairs.
Mezzanine (2nd level)
This section overhangs above the Dress Circle. It includes 422 seats arranged in four sections of eight rows each. There are 12 wheelchair locations with accompanying companion seats. The last row of the Mezzanine (Row W) may be accessed without stairs and can accommodate a mix of up to 30 wheelchair spaces and companion seats.
Upper Loge (3rd level)
This section overhangs the Lower Loges on either side of the house. There are a total of 50 seats in 13 rows on house left and a total of 50 seats in 13 rows on house right. From the Mezzanine Lobby, Row H is accessible via elevators without encountering any stairs.
Balcony (3rd level)
This is the top level of seating, directly above the Mezzanine. There are a total of 710 seats in the Balcony.
- All Balcony seats require stair access from Balcony level lobby and are not wheelchair accessible. Patrons with walking difficulties or other mobility issues should not select Balcony seating. Binoculars are recommended for patrons wishing to view costume, facial and staging details.
Safety & Security
Your safety is our top priority and we rely on the cooperation and the good judgment of every person who enters the facility to ensure this level of safety. Our venues are protected by 24-hour video surveillance. Please review the following security details.
San Diego Theatres has voluntarily taken on security measures in an effort to increase public safety within the Civic Theatre an Balboa Theatre.
- Guests may be screened through metal detection devices at our venue entrances during events.
- Guests may be subject to bag checks.
- In order to accommodate for the security screening process, we ask that you please plan on arriving at least one hour prior to the scheduled start time of any event.
The following list of items are not allowed inside the theatre (Note: items may change without notice under direction of San Diego Theatres Security):
- Bags should not exceed 12" x 6" x 12." San Diego Theatres does not provide a general area to check bags, coats or any other personal belongings
- Oversized bags (i.e. backpacks, suitcases, beach bags, laptop bags, etc.) are prohibited
- Weapons (or any item that could be harmful to others), firearms, pepper spray/mace, flares or fireworks
- Outside food, beverage, liquid containers, alcohol, cans, bottles, flasks, coolers or water bottles
- Workman's tool, pocket knives, or any other tools
- Laser pens/pointers, flashlights, glow products
- Laptop/tablet computers
- Signs/Flags/Banners/Posters unless otherwise posted by tour management
- Skateboards, rollerblades, bicycles, helmets or chairs
- Drugs and illegal substances
- Video or audio recording devices of any kind including GoPro cameras
- Solicitation is not allowed
- Bags that do not exceed 12" x 6" x 12."
- Prescription medicine
- One sealed bottle of water (up to 16 ounces)
Lost and Found
If you lost something at the Theatre, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Include as many details as you can, including the event you attended, the date you lost your item, details about the item lost as well as where you think you lost it.
Food & Beverage
Arrive early and enjoy food and beverages at our Grand Salon ThEATre Concession area. Please note: Outside food and beverage items may not be brought into the Civic Theatre.
There are multiple bars inside the Civic Theatre (two on every level). We offer premium cocktails, wines as well as local San Diego Craft Brews from some of the best breweries in the region.
- Wine and dine under the Civic's iconic chandelier before your show and at intermission. We proudly offer a menu of signature cocktails in the Grand Salon Bar. Be sure to sample from our brand new menu of specialty cocktails designed just for the Civic.
- Enjoy a drink in the fresh air outside at the Civic's Plaza Bar located in the Councourse (weather/event permitting).
Come hungry and choose from a variety of sandwiches and salads. Selections may include artisan cheese plates with unique selection of cheeses (which rotate on a regular basis), flatbread pizzas, house-made hummus plates and deli sliders.
We also offer sweet treats, cookies and brownies and fresh coffee from local coffee roaster Café Moto, including a new cold brew option.
It may be the best kept secret in San Diego. Did you know you can PREORDER food and drinks for intermission? Here's how it works:
- Once you scan through the gate with your ticket, make your way to any concession stand or visit the Grand Salon Specialty Concession area (under the chandelier).
- Tell our staff you want to preorder for the intermission.
- They will take your name, order, payment and you’re done.
- Make a note of what concession area you placed your order. A customized table sign with your name on it will be waiting for you along with your order.
- THAT’S it…enjoy! (See how easy that is?)
Intermissions may not be available at all shows. Check with Concession staff for details.
We take great care with the packaging choices we make as well. We use all biodegradable packaging, wooden utensils and no longer offer plastic straws.
Alcoholic beverages served to patrons 21 years & older. May not be offered at all shows.
The Civic Theatre is proud to offer accessible wheelchair seating, restrooms and audio assistance systems for patrons. Please call Ticketing Services at 619.570.1100 for assistance.
Side Orchestra Transfer Seating
Accessibility seating at the Civic Theatre includes:
- Seats with swing-out arms for easy transfer from wheelchair or scooter are available on the main floor Orchestra level, on both right and left aisles, of the Civic Theatre.
- All seats in the Orchestra section, Rows AA through V, may be accessed via sloping walkways, no stairs. By use of the elevators, seats in Dress Circle, Row H and Mezzanine, Row W may be accessed without stairs.
- Upper Loge, Row H may be accessed without stairs, using the Mezzanine elevator stop.
Radio-Frequency (RF) Audio Assistance Systems
For patrons with hearing difficulties, audio assistance devices are in use at the Civic Theatre. Headsets are available in the Theatre lobby areas prior to performances (headsets are loaned at no charge, on a first-come, first-served basis, with photo ID required).
T-Coil loop devices are available for patrons with T-Coil compatible aids. Please check with uniformed House Staff at entry for devices.
Most San Diego Opera performances at the Civic Theatre utilize the 'Digitext' system, projecting an English language translation text above the stage. Audio Description Services are available at select San Diego Opera performances. Please contact Ticketing Services at 619.570.1100 or San Diego Opera Patron Services at 619.533.7000 for further details or access individual Event Information pages on this site for specific event details.
Broadway San Diego offers American Sign Language (ASL) and Open Caption (OC) Services at select performances. Please contact Ticketing Services at 619.570.1100 for further details or access individual Event Information pages on this site for specific event details.
Sight and Hearing Impaired Seating
Limited sight and hearing-impaired seating may be available for select shows. Please contact Ticketing Services at 619.570.1100 with any specific questions or assistance.
Certified Service Animals & Guide Dogs
Recognized California Service Animals, fully trained to provide a specific service to owner, are welcome into the Theatre. Only Service Animals will be allowed entry and must remain under owner’s control during the entire event. Companion Animals are not allowed inside the venue. For suggested seating recommendations or additional information, please contact Ticketing Services at 619.570.1100
Elevators are available to all levels of the Theatre, however designated Accessible Seating areas are located only on main floor Orchestra level. Seating in Loge and Balcony levels require patrons to navigate stairs.
With staff assistance, a Family/Special Needs restroom facility is available on the Upper Loge (East side), using the Mezzanine elevator stop. There are four restrooms equipped with a Changing Station for patrons with young children in attendance. Restrooms with a changing station are located in the Main Lobby Women’s room (West), Main Lobby Men’s room, Balcony level Woman’s room (East) and Balcony level Men’s room (East).
If you are attending an event and are in need of assistance at any time, please contact one of our uniformed Ushers or Public Safety Staff. Usher staff are available inside seating areas during all performances.
Special effects are part of many performances and may include the use of Strobe Lights (flicker-sensitive patrons), haze and smoke machines, etc. Should you have a sensitivity regarding any of these theatrical effects, please check the individual Event Information pages on this site or contact Ticketing Services for specific information.
Please be aware we may only become aware of the use of such effects close to the actual performance date.