Parking & Directions
Advance Parking Passes
You may purchase parking passes in advance for the 225 Broadway Garage operated by Ace Parking for most events when you make your ticket purchase.
- Enter Broadway Circle from 2nd Ave & Broadway & follow around to garage entrance down-ramp on the left. Note: There is a height limitation of 6 feet, 7 inches for all vehicles entering the Garage.
Current Parking Rates for the 225 Broadway Garage (rates subject to change):
- Mon – Fri Evening (after 5:00P): $10 per vehicle
- Sat & Sun (all day): $10 per vehicle
If you did not purchase Advance Parking, you may purchase parking from...
Horton Plaza Garage
Event parking is available at the Horton Plaza Garage on Fourth Avenue operated by ABM, with parking payment through ParkWhiz. Event parking is $10 and can be purchased HERE.
Additional details on parking downtown can be found at the Gaslamp Parking Website.
With a total seating capacity of 1,335 the historic Balboa Theatre features a Main Floor Orchestra and second level Loge and Balcony sections.
In general, late arrivals for performances will be required to remain in the lobby areas until an appropriate seating break in the performance, as determined by the show management or producers. This may be for just the duration of a few minutes for an opening number or may be for the entire first act of the performance. Lobby monitors are available to view most on-stage performances.
Seating comprises the following sections:
Located on the main floor and the closest seating to the stage. With a capacity of 811 seats, the Orchestra features a large center seating section with additional seating in right (even-numbered) and left (odd-numbered) sections. Please note that during certain performances where the Orchestra Pit or Extended staging is not required, 2 additional Rows (AA and BB) may be added in front of Row A.
Loge (2nd level)
Located on the second level, this section extends over Row N of the Orchestra and is comprised of 5 Rows (A through E) and a total of 159 seats. There is no wheelchair accessible seating in the Loge.
Balcony (2nd level)
Located directly behind the Loge section, on the 2nd level, this section is comprised of 13 Rows (F through T) of fixed seating, totaling 365 seats. All Balcony seats require stair access and are not wheelchair accessible. Due to the historic nature of the Theatre, Balcony seating offers less leg room than available in the Orchestra and Loge levels. Patrons with walking difficulties or other mobility issues should not select a Balcony seat.
- There are a total of 12 Orchestra Wheelchair Accessible spaces plus 12 companion spaces (5 each in Row H and 7 each in Row X) and a total of 13 side Transfer Seats in the right and left aisles. Comprised of 25 permanent Rows and 3 removable Rows (2 in front, 1 in rear), access to all seats in this section are accessible without utilizing stairs.
- Level 2A elevator access on the East side provides no-stair access to Loge A, seats 1-19. All other seats in this section do require the use of stairs.
Please call Ticketing Services at 619.615.4180 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org for additional information or special seating request assistance.
Safety & Security
Your safety is our top priority and we rely on the cooperation and the good judgment of every person who enters the facility to ensure this level of safety. Our venues are protected by 24-hour video surveillance. Please review the following security details.
San Diego Theatres requires that all guests attending an event pass through a security screening performed by trained security personnel. This will include, but is not limited to:
- Walk-through or wand metal detection inspection
- Bag checks
- Visual inspection
- Other screening deemed necessary by security staff
We encourage patrons to leave non-essential items, including oversized purses and bags, at home or safely secured in a vehicle. Any item larger than a small clutch or wallet may be subject to a security inspection.
Please refer to our list of prohibited items. We ask that you leave these in your vehicle or at home. San Diego Theatres will not take possession or be responsible for any items removed as a result of the security screening process. Any patron who declines to be screened may be denied entry to San Diego Theatre’s events.
In order to accommodate for the security screening process, we ask that you please plan on arriving at least one hour prior to the scheduled start time of any event.
The following list of items are not allowed inside the theatre (Note: items may change without notice under direction of San Diego Theatres Security):
- Bags should not exceed 12" x 6" x 12." San Diego Theatres does not provide a general area to check bags, coats or any other personal belongings
- Oversized bags (i.e. backpacks, suitcases, beach bags, laptop bags, etc.) are prohibited
- Weapons (or any item that could be harmful to others), firearms, pepper spray/mace, flares or fireworks
- Outside food, beverage, liquid containers, alcohol, cans, bottles, flasks, coolers or water bottles
- Workman's tool, pocket knives, or any other tools
- Laser pens/pointers, flashlights, glow products
- Laptop/tablet computers
- Signs/Flags/Banners/Posters unless otherwise posted by tour management
- Skateboards, rollerblades, bicycles, helmets or chairs
- Drugs and illegal substances
- Video or audio recording devices of any kind including GoPro cameras
- Solicitation is not allowed
- Prescription medicine
- One sealed bottle of water (up to 16 ounces)
Lost and Found
If you lost something at the Theatre, please email us at email@example.com or call 619-615-4006. Include as many details as you can, including the event you attended, the date you lost your item, details about the item lost as well as where you think you lost it.
FOOD & BEVERAGE
San Diego Theatres has partnered with Sodexo Live!, the leading hospitality partner to North America's live entertainment venues, to provide premier hospitality and food service for the Civic Theatre and Balboa Theatre. Through this partnership, guests can look forward to enhanced safety measures and level of service, a tailored menu centered around unique locally sourced produce, breads and meats, innovative technology for faster service, and the introduction of a new sustainability initiative.
“As we know, guests already come to the San Diego Theatres for exceptional entertainment and by streamlining the food and beverage process we can get them back in their seats and enjoying all that they came for”
To promote the safety of our guests and enhance speed of service all food and beverage transactions at San Diego Theatres will be cash-free. Our bars and concession stands accept debit and credit cards, including major contactless and mobile payment methods.
The menu offerings will feature signature and premium cocktails, wines as well as local craft brews from some of the best breweries in the region. Menus will highlight local brands and businesses as much as possible, as well as ensure best-in-class sustainability practices and safety protocols.
Sodexo Live! is the exclusive on-site caterer for all San Diego Theatres. From intimate rehearsals to elaborate affairs, our team of San Diego’s finest industry professionals will help seamlessly meet all your event catering needs.
We are happy to announce our new sustainability initiatives at San Diego Theatres including menus tailored to highlight locally sourced cuisine and 100% biodegradable and fully recyclable packaging.
HEALTH AND SAFETY
Sodexo Live! supports the well-being of attendees through industry-specific measures that include, but are not limited to:
- Cashless payment systems at retail outlets
- Menus designed with modern safety and hygiene practices at the forefront
- Targeted kitchen disinfection, sanitation, and cleaning schedules
- Specialized and regimented health and safety trainings
Please note: Alcoholic beverages served to patrons 21 years & older. Alcohol may not be offered at all shows. Outside food and beverage items may not be brought in to Balboa Theatre.
The Historic Balboa Theatre has undergone extensive accommodations to provide accessible improvements and upgrades for the comfort of our guests. Please email Ticketing Services at firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance.
Accessibility seating at the Balboa Theatre includes:
- Dedicated Accessible Wheelchair Seating is available on the main floor Orchestra (Row H, House Right entry) and rear Orchestra (Row X).
- Loge and Balcony sections do not offer wheelchair accessible seating.
- Accessible Restroom facilities are located on the main floor (East), Salon, Loge and Balcony levels of the Theatre.
- All seats in the Orchestra section, Rows A through Z are accessible via sloping walkways, no stairs.
- Elevator stop 2A access to Loge level (East side) provides no-stair access to Loge, Row A seats 1-19. All other seating in the Loge and Balcony do involve the use of stairs. Please contact Ticketing Services if you have specific questions regarding seating in any area.
Radio-Frequency (RF) Audio Assistance Systems
For patrons with hearing difficulties, audio assistance devices are available at the Balboa. Request a headset from our event staff in the lobby areas prior to performances (headsets are loaned at no charge, on a first-come, first-served basis, with photo ID required).
Sight and Hearing Impaired Seating
Limited sight and hearing-impaired seating may be available for select shows. Please email Ticketing Services at email@example.com with any specific questions or assistance.
Certified Service Animals & Guide Dogs
Recognized California Service Animals, fully trained to provide a specific service to owner, are welcome into the Theatre. Only Service Animals will be allowed entry and must remain under owner’s control during the entire event. Companion Animals are not allowed inside the venue. For suggested seating recommendations or additional information, please contact Ticketing Services at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Elevator stop 2A access to Loge level (East side) provides no-stair access to Loge, Row A seats 1-19. All other seating in the Loge and Balcony do involve the use of stairs. Please contact Ticketing Services if you have specific questions regarding seating in any area.
Family Accessible Restrooms
One Family/Special Needs Restroom is located on the main floor Orchestra (East) level. This restroom is equipped with a Changing Station for patrons with young children in attendance. Additional Changing Stations can be found in the Women’s room 2A (Loge level East) and Men's Room 2A (Loge level East).
Women's Restrooms are located on the Lower Level (stair access only from main floor Orchestra, no elevator), Loge, Salon, and Balcony Levels. The facilities in the Loge, Salon, and Balcony are fully accessible and may be accessed by elevator stops.
Men's Restrooms are located on the main floor Orchestra (East) level, Loge, Salon and Balcony Levels. The facilities in the Loge, Salon and Balcony are fully accessible and may be accessed by elevator stops.
If you are attending an event and are in need of assistance at any time, please contact one of our uniformed Ushers or Public Safety Staff. Usher staff are available inside seating areas during all performances.
Special effects are part of many performances and may include the use of Strobe Lights (flicker-sensitive patrons), haze and smoke machines, etc. Should you have a sensitivity regarding any of these theatrical effects, please check the individual Event Information pages on this site or contact Ticketing Services for specific information.
Please be aware we may only become aware of the use of such effects close to the actual performance date.
San Diego Theatres follows the guidance for Indoor Mega Events provided by the California Department of Public Health (CDPH) and San Diego County for all of our events. The safety of our guests, artists, and staff remains our top priority as we welcome you to our venues for live events.
EFFECTIVE APRIL 1, 2022, PER THE CALIFORNIA DEPARTMENT OF PUBLIC HEALTH:
The requirement for vaccine verification or proof of negative tests for attendees at Indoor Mega Events will be lifted and will move to a strong recommendation.
These recommendations will continue to be updated as CDPH continues to assess conditions on an ongoing basis. California must be vigilant to maintain situational awareness through surveillance and be ready to pause or reinstate a higher level of protective mitigation recommendations or requirements.
Please be aware that Artists or Presenting Organizations may continue to require Covid-19 safety measures for entry including proof of vaccination, a negative test result and/or masks. Please consult individual event pages for additional entry requirements.
Note: By purchasing tickets to events at Balboa Theatre, you agree to abide by the health and safety measures in effect at the time of the event, which may include, but not be limited to, wearing masks, providing proof of vaccination status and/or providing proof of negative COVID-19 test.
FOR EVENTS THAT REQUIRE PROOF OF VACCINATION OR A NEGATIVE COVID TEST:
- Acceptable proof of vaccination is either the original vaccination card, a printed copy of the vaccination card, or digital vaccination record with an appropriate ID matching the name on vaccination documentation.
- Acceptable proof of a negative Covid-19 test result must be in the form of written documentation (paper or electronic copy).* The documentation must include:
- Type of test (indicating it is a PCR or antigen test)
- The entity issuing the result (e.g. laboratory, healthcare entity, or telehealth service)
- Specimen collection date.
- Information that identifies the person (full name plus at least one other identifier such as date of birth or passport number)
- Test Result
- Over-the-counter tests will not be accepted as proof of negative results of COVID-19
*For your convenience, Lux Concierge is offering rapid testing onsite at Balboa Theatres for $40 per test. Testing is available one hour before the event. Please plan to arrive early to the venue to accommodate the testing.
Things to Know Before You Go
WE ARE CASHLESS
- To limit contact, Balboa Theatre is a cashless venue. This applies to:
- All ticket sales
- Food and beverage purchases
ENTERING BALBOA THEATRE
- Arrive early! We recommend guests arrive at least one hour prior to their event.
- Use mobile ticketing for contactless entry. Have your ticket ready to present at the door. Pro Tip: Add your mobile ticket to your phone’s digital wallet and avoid last-minute searching.
- San Diego Theatres Ticketing Office windows will be open at Balboa Theatre 2-1/2 hours prior to event start time for will call, event sales, advance ticket sales, and assistance with ticketing.
CLEANING & SANITIZATION
- Hand sanitizer is available throughout the theatre with dispensers located on each floor.
- Filtered air: The theatre’s HVAC system has been upgraded with state-of-the-art Needlepoint Bipolar Ionization technology to better filter out dust, dander, smoke, viruses, and bacteria, for cleaner, healthier air. Learn more about how the system works here.
- Thorough cleaning and disinfection are performed after all events.
FOOD & BEVERAGE
- Cashless payment systems are in place to limit contact.
- Menus are designed with modern safety and hygiene practices at the forefront.
San Diego Theatres is taking many steps and precautions to help ensure your safety. However, by visiting Balboa Theatre, you voluntarily assume all risks related to possible exposure to COVID-19.